Friday, April 11, 2008

Negligent Parenting

So I watched 2 of my friend's kids today while she went to the store. Everyone was playing happily, so I went downstairs to print Jacob a picture to color (because he really, really wanted one). I walked back upstairs not 5 minutes later and the front door was open and Luke, who's 2, was nowhere to seen. I scoured the neighborhood. I scoured the house. I got all the neighbors looking with me. I finally called the police and his mom came back from the store. Where was he? At his house watching tv and eating a lollipop. A different neighbor had seen him wandering on her way out and dropped him off at home. Luckily, it was unlocked and he was resourceful enough to make himself comfortable. But it makes me ask this question: How on earth am I going to be able to handle 5 kids?! I couldn't even remember the cardinal rule of 2-year-olds--never leave the front door unlocked.

3 comments:

Taylor Swim said...

You'll be just fine with 5. We all have our "oopsie" parenting moments. Infact, Jodi just had something very similar happen with her 2 year old. She was just out wandering in the back yard with the dog. oopsies! It happens!

moranews said...

If you had locked the front door, the 2 year old would have found some other sneaky way out. Things like this are bound to happen, you just pick up and keep going! You will do great!

pame said...

Welcome to the world of parenting bloopers! I remember with embarrassment an experience just before you were born, Karen. Matt was 4 years old and Bekah and Linda were napping. Our house guest wanted me to drop her and her daughter off at a bus stop a few blocks from our home (she and her 2 year old were staying with us while the child was getting cancer treatments). I bribed Matt to sit quietly in the house while I took 5 minutes to run our guests to the bus stop. Needless to say, when I returned, Matt was nowhere in the house. He had walked down the street to play with his friend. I am grateful to say that Bekah and Linda were still asleep and the house was still standing. Similarly, Tom/Dad/Grandpa says Gan sometimes paid him a nickel to babysit himself at age 4 or 5.