Sunday, October 28, 2007

New to blogging


So "Hi" to all of you who may check out our family blog. And "Thank you" to Karen for doing such a super job of trying to get us all to communicate more. It's been so wonderfully warm here through most of October, I'm not sure I can face any really cold weather yet.

Tom offered a job to a member of the Belmont 2 Ward to work in our yard, since she's out of work and has spent a little time working on the temple grounds. Margaret has come several times over the past couple of weeks to help do a fall cleanup. While she's working, I feel like I should be out there, too, and Jianna has also joined in. We're getting plenty of fresh air and exercise as the yard gets cleaned up.

The latest addition to the yard is a new swing set for the kids to play on. It has a climbing wall, ladder to a second story "house" with a steering wheel, periscope, telescope and telephone. Under the "house" is a picnic table, which can be converted to become a lower deck under the "house." On the side for swinging, there is a two-seater, a regular swing, a baby swing and a trapeze. All the grandchildren can enjoy it when you come to visit (hint, hint).

Well, we just completed living off of our food storage for a week, per the bishop's challenge to members of the ward. A week isn't really a challenge for us, since we keep so much food on hand. But, it is apparent to me that what I would miss right away if we were really living on food storage would be fresh produce. So, I think it a good idea to store some seeds for planting in season.

Today was our stake conference. President Bowen has been quite focused on preparedness for the past year or so. Today was the date by which members of the stake were to have:

1) at least a two-week supply of food, water, medicines, and cash
2) critical health information well-organized: medical prescriptions, prior inoculations, details for contacting your doctors, insurance, and bank accounts
3) a 72-hour emergency kit with copies of the critical information

I'm afraid I haven't completed the copies of the critical information yet. And since Matt, Jianna and the kids are here, our water supply is not up to two weeks' worth yet, but I do have two 55-gallon barrels outside ready to fill and store.

Life is busy, and it's hard to manage time to do the things that are important. But I feel so blessed. I was struck by Elder Eyring's talk at General Conference and came home and started a journal of blessings, which I have written in briefly each day. Each of you in our family is a blessing to me every day, and every day I think of you and pray for your welfare. I so enjoy being with you and hearing what you have to say. It makes me look hopefully forward to a day when we can all be together and enjoy each other's company without having to travel thousands of miles.

I'll encourage Tom/Dad/Grandfather to add to this blog. He always has some funny stories to relate. You might want to hear about the brief conversation he had with Elder Holland a couple of weeks ago when he was here for a singles education conference:)

Love to all of you,

Mom/Pam/Grandma

P.S. The picture at the beginning of this posting is Thomas with Isabella at the BHS graduation. I thought you might like to see a picture of Isabella. I'll take a picture of the swing set soon and Matt's kids in their Halloween costumes so you can see them, too.

1 comment:

Karen said...

See! It's not that hard to post to the blog! Thanks, Mom. I hope we can come see that swingset sometime soon.